Pilates is a style of body-conditioning which offers a balanced blend of strength and flexibility training, and is suitable for all ages and abilities. It involves enhancing the control and strength of the postural muscles, which stabilize the body. It improves posture, reduces stress and creates long, lean muscles without bulking up. By concentrating on core stability you will achieve a balanced body workout, from the inside out.
Osteopaths, physiotherapists and general practitioners recommend Pilates as one of the safest forms of exercise.
As you progress, items such as exercise balls, toning circles and flex bands are mixed into the mat workouts to offer new forms of resistance. It is important to me that each exercise is tailored to suit you, so small groups ensure each exercise is performed correctly.
Benefits of Pilates:
- Pilates exercises are designed to strengthen and lengthen the body and improve its alignment
- It teaches good movement, using a well-balanced mind and body workout with appropriate use of the centre/core to help control movements.
- Improves mobility and flexibility of the spine and joints
- Less incidence of back and shoulder pain
- Facilitates injury prevention and physical rehabilitation
- Highly beneficial in enhancing athletic performance
- Improves body awareness and balance
- Boosts energy levels